Typhoon Lagoon is a 61-acre themed water recreation attraction — inspired by the imagined legend of a typhoon, earthquake and volcanic eruption combining to create an inland sea with breaker waves (Typhoon Lagoon) and a towering watershed mountain (Mt. Mayday) atop which is a stranded shrimp boat (the Miss Tilly).
Typhoon Lagoon opened on June 1st 1989 and is located in the Disney Springs resort area near Disney’s Old Key West Resort and Disney Springs West Side on Buena Vista Drive.
Typhoon Lagoon Attractions
Typhoon Lagoon: One of the world’s largest surfing lagoons (approximately 109,000 square feet, containing nearly three million gallons of water).
Mt. Mayday: The centerpiece watershed mountain, featuring . . .
- Three speed slides — Humunga Kowabunga slides zip guests along 214-foot routes at up to 30 miles per hour.
- A trio of curving body Storm Slides — Rudder Buster, Stern Burner and Jib Jammer wind in and out of caves, through waterfalls and between rock formations, sending guests along at up to 20 miles per hour over distances of about 300 feet each.
- Three white-water rafting adventures — Keelhaul Falls, Mayday Falls andGangplank Falls slide through caves and under waterfalls in inner tubes (Keelhaul Falls and Mayday Falls) or family-size craft (Gangplank Falls).
Crush ‘n’ Gusher: A water-coaster thrill attraction that takes riders aboard inflatable rafts on a twisting, turning, up-and-down adventure propelled by powerful water jets.
Ketchakiddee Creek: A separate water playground for children ages 2 to 5 (under four feet tall) and their parents. Features scaled-down versions of many of the water play activities the “big kids” can do, including a pint-sized white-water rafting adventure, an activity pool and S.S. Squirt, an interactive tug boat.
Shark Reef: A unique 362,000-gallon salt-water coral reef diving environment in which guests can snorkel amidst the colorful fish, coral and plant life of the Caribbean.
Castaway Creek: Guests hop onto inner tubes for a meandering water tour along a 2,100-foot circular channel that takes them through a misty rain forest, a hidden grotto and a sun-drenching, all with a spectacular view of Typhoon Lagoon and its many activities.
Typhoon Lagoon Facilities
- Leaning Palms and Typhoon Tilly’s (restaurants serving hamburgers, hot dogs, specialty sandwiches, wraps, salads and ice cream in waffle cones; beer also is served)
- Let’s Go Slurpin’ (a full-service bar featuring frozen drink specialties and spirits)
- Getaway Glen and Hideaway Bay picnic areas (picnicking is permitted but no alcohol or glass containers can be brought in)
- Happy Landing’s Ice Cream (ice cream and beverages)
- Lowtide Lou’s (snacks, ice cream, beverages, sundries and towels)
- Hot dog carts (hot dogs, chips, snacks and beverages)
- Beachcomber Shacks (premium shaded rental spaces include towels, locker, drink mugs, Adirondack seating, ice chest stocked with bottled water, service attendant)
- Singapore Sal’s and High ‘n Dry (swimsuits, souvenirs and sundries)
- Locker rooms (dressing rooms, showers, locker rental, towel rental, life jacket rental)